The Egg & I Restaurants Mourns Passing of CEO
Centennial, Colorado-based The Egg & I Restaurants announced that Bill Baumhauer, the company’s chief executive officer and chairman of the board, died last week at his home in Knoxville, Tennessee. Baumhauer was 66 years old.
“It is with great sadness I announce that Bill Baumhauer, our chairman and CEO, died suddenly and unexpectedly,” says Don Lamb, president and chief operating officer for The Egg & I Restaurants.
“Our entire The Egg & I Restaurant family mourns this tragic loss, and our thoughts and prayers are with Bill’s wife, Stacey, and with his family,” Lamb says. “Bill was not only my good friend; he was a brilliant man who brought tremendous leadership, energy, and passion to his job, to our restaurants and to our company. More than anything, Bill was a role model for each of us, and we are better off, as individuals and as an organization, because of him. Bill made an indelible mark on each one of us associated with The Egg & I Restaurants. He will be sorely missed.”
Baumhauer held numerous leadership positions throughout the course of his career, and including:
- Since October 2005, Baumhauer served as the chief executive officer and chairman of the board of directors of E&I Restaurants, Inc., an affiliated company that owns and operates 14 The Egg & I restaurants in Colorado and Tennessee.
- From June 1999 to March 2005, he was president, chief executive officerm and chairman of the board of directors of Champps Entertainment, Inc., a publicly traded, national restaurant operator located in Littleton, Colorado.
- From June 1998 to June 1999, Mr. Baumhauer was president and chief operating officer of Planet Hollywood, Inc., a publicly traded, international restaurant operator headquartered in Orlando, Florida.
- From November 1988 to June 1998, he served first as president and chief operating officer and then chairman of the board of directors, president and chief executive officer of Daka International, Inc., a publicly traded, food service management, restaurant and hotel company headquartered in Danvers, Massachusetts.
- From June 1982 to November 1988, Mr. Baumhauer served first as executive vice president, then as chairman of the board of directors, president, and chief executive officer of Fuddruckers, Inc., a publicly traded, international restaurant operator and franchisor headquartered in San Antonio, Texas.
Effective immediately, the board announced that Don Lamb will assume the role of interim chief executive officer. Lamb has served as the president and chief operating officer for The Egg & I Restaurants since October 2005.
In making this announcement, the board said:
“Don Lamb worked side by side with Bill Baumhauer since October 2005 to nurture and grow The Egg & I from 17 restaurants to over 100 restaurants today. Don is ideally suited and prepared to continue Bill’s remarkable focus and discipline on behalf of our brand. We have the utmost confidence in Don Lamb and his entire management team to ensure this transition is smooth and effective for the entire The Egg & I Restaurant organization.
“Perhaps the greatest legacy that Bill Baumhauer left to our The Egg & I family is the talent and commitment of the senior management team he assembled. While we can never replace Bill’s strategic brilliance or leadership, we will honor him by continuing his passion for our brand.”