Fast Five: Need-to-Know News in Full-Service this Week
May 02, 2014Industry News
- Chain news: Quaker Steak & Lube hired a new CEO and California Pizza Kitchen began the rollout of its new menu, dubbed the Next Chapter.
- Finance: First quarter results of 2014 began rolling out. IHOP's sales were up 3.9 percent. Applebee's decreased 0.5 percent, marking the third quarter in a row that its sales have been in the red. Buffalo Wild Wing's sales rose 5-6 percent across its company-owned and franchised restaurants. Del Frisco's Restaurant Group enjoyed a 1.6 percent increase in sales across its three brands.
- Policy: Senate Democrats' efforts to raise the minimum wage stalled, as they were six votes shy of overcoming a Senate Republican filibuster.
- Health: 71 percent of consumers are unsure of how much protein they need daily. We explain how restaurants can benefit from educating diners about protein.
- Economy: Restaurant job growth grew at 3.7 percent in 2013, more than double the 1.7 percent overall gain in the U.S. economy. Nevada, Texas, and Washington, D.C., posted the strongest gains.
News and information presented in this release has not been corroborated by FSR, Food News Media, or Journalistic, Inc.