Bollywood Bar and Clay Oven Opens in Downtown Santa Rosa
Chandi Hospitality is bringing together the spirit of India and the best of wine country hospitality with the opening of an exciting new concept in Downtown Santa Rosa, Bollywood Bar & Clay Oven. Recently opened in Old Courthouse Square on 4th Street, the new restaurant features a menu of classic Indian cuisine with a modern twist, an exotic lineup of unique artisanal cocktails and an inviting setting that serves the senses in cinematic style.
“As Santa Rosa locals, we are passionate about continuing to elevate and diversify our downtown scene by introducing unique concepts unlike anything our community has ever experienced,” says Sonu Chandi, founder and president of Chandi Hospitality, a family-run company of restauranteurs whose roots trace back to the Punjab region of India. “We’re especially excited about the introduction of Bollywood which reflects our heritage while pushing culinary boundaries in a way that the Bay Area is known for.”
Crafted by James Beard Award finalist Niven Patel, an avid farmer and classically trained chef, Bollywood Bar & Clay Oven’s menu delivers a parade of vibrant colors and exotic flavors that stimulate the senses. With ingredients and spices sourced from near and far from quality purveyors, Patel skillfully marries the ethos of fresh-from-the-farm produce with dynamic flavor profiles.
Guests enjoy contemporary interpretations of traditional Indian dishes originating from Punjab to Gujarat, including a variety of curries like Pork Belly Vindaloo and Crab Cake Korma and clay-oven fired selections like Charred Corn with smoked paneer and cilantro aioli. Menu highlights include:
- Smoked Lamb Shank: created over the course of a six-day process in which the shank is brined, smoked and braised until tender alongside chickpeas, jaggery and black cardamom, finished with fresh mint
- Green Millet: inspired by a dish that supports an entire community in a small village in Gujarat, this grain is sourced from India, where it is harvested by a slow drying wood fire process before being shipped to Bollywood Bar & Clay Oven, steamed and served with cilantro chutney and house-made yogurt
- Tuna Bhel: a contemporary take on traditional Indian street food reimagined with puff rice, smashed avocado, cilantro, tomatoes, onions and three different types of chutneys topped with local albacore tuna tossed with a Kashmiri chili
Bollywood Bar & Clay Oven’s cocktail program presents a provocative lineup of east-meets-west libations, as well as a robust selection of craft beer on tap and an extensive wine list featuring both imported and local Sonoma County varietals. The bar program was dreamed up by a dynamic duo of mixology masterminds, Scott Beattie Andrea Mota. Beattie is known for his best-selling 2008 book titled Artisanal Cocktails: Drinks Inspired by the Seasons and contributions to some of wine country’s most recognized cocktail programs at Cyrus, Spoonbar, Mateo’s and more. Mota, Bollywood Bar & Clay Oven’s Bar Manager, previously opened and managed Geyserville Gun Club Bar and Lounge. Fresh ingredients and the latest in mixology trends lead the way behind the bar, where classic cocktails are reimagined with traditional Indian flavors like turmeric and coriander. Artisanal favorites include:
- Bardoli Buck: a bright and refreshing cocktail with vodka, fresh pressed ginger and turmeric juice, lime, ginger beer and bitters served over crushed ice and finished with a marigold.
- Gujarati Swizzle: handcrafted with gin, Buddhas Hand Vodka, coconut milk, lemon, ginger beer, lemon verbena and orange flower water and served in an ornate smoke colored tumbler with gold filigree and Rangpur lime leaf
- Bolly Ol' Fashioned: a spirit-forward union of rum, banana and barrel aged bitters served over a large ice rock with a burnt orange peel branded with "Drink Me" scripted in Hindi
Chandi continues, “Dining at Bollywood Bar & Clay Oven will challenge what you think you know about Indian food with modern takes on definitive Indian dishes and craft cocktails infused with exotic flavors. We’re thrilled to welcome the Santa Rosa community and visitors alike to share our table and enjoy an experience that you will not find anywhere else.”
Bollywood Bar & Clay Oven is located at 535 4th St, Santa Rosa, California 95401 and is open Tuesday through Saturday, with happy hour from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. and full dinner service beginning at 5:00 p.m. The restaurant will be open Tuesday through Friday for lunch beginning November 23. To view the full menu, learn more or to make a reservation, please visit www.bollywoodbar.net or call (707) 535-0700.