Cochon 555 Returns to Seattle for a Six Chef St. Patrick's Day Cook Off
2013 marks a culinary milestone: The fifth anniversary of Cochon 555, a one-of-a-kind traveling culinary competition and tasting event created to promote sustainable farming of heritage breed pigs. Arriving at the quintessentially Northwest Cedarbrook Lodge in Seattle March 17, the pork-centric tour brings together – for the first time ever – SIX chefs, five pigs, and five wineries for a Best of the Pacific Northwest in a St. Patrick’s Day showdown.
Each Cochon 555 event challenges five local chefs (in this case six) to prepare a menu created from the entirety of heritage breed pigs for an audience of pork-loving epicureans and celebrated judges. The competing chefs are Jason Franey – Canlis, Johnathan Sundstrom – Lark, Jason Barwikowski – Woodsman Tavern, Joshua Henderson – Skillet,Rachel Yang / Seif Chirchi –Joule/Revel, and Shane Ryan – Matt's in the Market.
Guests will be treated to an epic pork feast alongside wines from five small family-owned wineries including Elk Cove Vineyards, McCrea Cellars, Syncline, Buty Winery, and Simi Winery plus special tastings from celebrated food and beverage producers, including a special pairing of Cypress Grove Chevre and Anchor Brewing, and of course there will also be green beer. Twenty judges and 400 guests help decide the winning chef, who is crowned the Prince (or Princess) of Porc and will compete against other regional winners at the finale Grand Cochon event at the FOOD & WINE Classic in Aspen June 16.
Also included in the evening is a preview of the new Heritage BBQ event in which Roy Breiman and Mark Bodinet of Copperleaf Restaurant will roll out family meal – an additional whole pig cooked barbecue-style immediately preceding the awards.
VIP guests will experience amazing grower Champagnes from Fat Cork, Black River Caviar as well as new tour additions for 2013, including the launch of the "Punch Kings” cocktail competition featuring Breckenridge Bourbon and six local bartenders, the all-new Tartare Bar, sustainable oysters as well as reserve wine and spirits.
To celebrate five years, Cochon 555 is announcing five bourbons in addition to five family wineries and five chefs cooking five pigs. All attendees will get samples of Templeton Rye, Breckenridge Bourbon, High West, Buffalo Trace, and Four Roses in addition to the Perfect Manhattan Bar showcasing Luxardo and Eagle Rare. New to 2013 is also the Chupito/Mezcal Bar, a tasting experience featuring Ilegal, Mezcales de Leyenda, Fidencio, and Pierde Almas. The infamous Craft Cheese Bar sees a facelift featuring a local cheesemonger, Cypress Grove Chevre, Vermont Butter & Cheese, Spring Brook Farm, exclusive blue cheeses from Rogue Creamery, and favorites from Kerrygold. Everyone can commemorate the experience by visiting the City Eats photo booth and voting for the best bite of the day and a sip of Pig’s Nose Scotch.
The fun continues with a butcher demonstration from Tracy Smaciarz from Heritage Meats and a raffle to benefit the student volunteers, ice-cold brews, Champagne toast, award ceremony, Fernet Branca digestifs, pork-spiked desserts, and of course, the after party will immediately following at Copperleaf Restaurant with food and drink specials each available for $5.55.
- When: Sunday, March 17, 2013, 4 p.m. (VIP); 5 p.m. (general admission)
- Where: Cedarbrook Lodge, 18525 36th Avenue South, Seattle
- Stay: The award-winning Cedarbrook Lodge has partnered with Cochon 555 creating the ultimate Sleep & Swine packages for guests looking to make a weekend of it. Packages range in price and amenities from the Cochon Hogs & Kisses – including a single night’s stay with a special ticket price for the Cochon 555 event (starting at $349) – to the Cochon Boss Hog – including a two night stay complete with a behind the scenes dinner at Copperleaf Restaurant and VIP admission to Cochon 555 (starting at $549).
- Several other package options are available via www.cedarbrooklodge.com.
- Tickets: $125 (general admission) and $200 (VIP); to purchase tickets, visit www.cochon555.com.
- In addition: As part of the 5th Anniversary Celebration, Cochon 555 will host an intimate “Chef’s Course” Guest Chef & Winemaker Dinner = March 15, featuring past Cochon 555 chef-participants and an unexpected evening of hanging out behind the scenes with Team Cochon at Radiator Whiskey for $175.