Root & Bone Brings Southern Hospitality to South Florida
In partnership with Grove Bay Hospitality Group (GBHG), celebrity chef partners/restaurateurs Jeff McInnis and Janine Booth are preparing to unveil the new South Miami location of their acclaimed New York City concept, Root & Bone. Set to open late-December 2018, the Miami restaurant will bring the Southern hospitality, charm, big flavors, and welcoming service that has made the Empire State location a nightly standing-room-only success.
Root & Bone Miami signals the second collaboration between the chefs and GBHG; the first being their successful Sunset Harbor sensation Stiltsville Fish Bar on Miami Beach. The space where Root & Bone will be housed is conveniently located in the heart of South Miami. The group thought the locale would be the perfect spot for a neighborhood restaurant with a southern flair. “Jeff and Janine’s Root & Bone has everything we think our customers are looking for. Amazing food, a comfortable atmosphere, an unbeatable bar program and, of course, stellar service. Partnering with them to bring the concept to Miami was a no-brainer,” says GBHG Co-Founder and CEO Ignacio Garcia-Menocal.
The restaurant will initially offer dinner nightly and a weekend brunch, with live music during Sundays brunch, and weekday lunch launching in early January 2019. With farm fresh ingredients derived from the earth (root) and bone (meat), transformed into technique driven interpretations of timeless classics, patrons can expect a wide variety of selections.
Bar Bites highlights include:
- Smashed Sunchoke Tostones: buttermilk crème fraiche, caviar, and chives
- Sticky Pork Belly Bacon Bites: spice bourbon maple, benne seeds, and sea salt
- Root & Bone Chicken Biscuits: crispy chicken atop buttermilk biscuits with Tabasco pepper jelly and homemade pickles
Small Plates consist of:
- Shrimp and Avocado Ceviche with watermelon, lime, fresno chili, radish and crispy hominy
- Grandma Daisy’s Angel Biscuits with honey chicken jus, sea salt, and benne seeds
- Root “Tartare”: heirloom carrots and beets, capers, horseradish, black garlic, and chives served with crispy root chips.
Salads straight from the garden include:
- Hammock Farms Salad: local greens, corn, radish, pickled onion, sourdough croutons, and buttermilk ranch
- Strawberry & Warm Goat Cheese Salad: Florida strawberries, arugula, pickled rhubarb dressing, goat cheese croquette and toasted hazelnuts
- Watermelon & Farmers Cheese Salad: with baby greens, cucumber, lime, cayenne, marcona almonds, mint, and olive oil.
Hearty Mains are sure to satisfy with dishes including:
- Braised Short Rib “Meatloaf” accompanied by whipped potatoes, grilled green beans, and heirloom tomato jam
- Shrimp & Grits: Carolina shrimp, creamy grits, melted tomatoes, pickled onions, sweet com, and bacon beer jus
- Lobster Pappardelle: butter poached Maine lobster, oyster mushrooms, English peas, melted tomatoes, and pancito
- Cast Iron Seared Yellow Tail Snapper with roasted sunchoke root, heirloom carrot puree, grilled green beans, olive oil, and red verjus vinaigrette.
R&B Favorites to Share are musts: half or full rack of Dry Rub Brûléed Spare Ribs—smoky and burnt brown sugar crusted ribs, pickled Fresno chilies, and tangy barbeque sauce; half or whole bird of Sweet Tea Brined Fried Chicken, lemon dusted and served with honey tabasco sauce. A selection of Sides includes Gooey Sweet Corn Spoon Bread—cast iron baked spoon bread, cheddar and buttermilk cream; Mac & Cheese—big pasta and crunchy cheese with a biscuit herb crust and Simply Grilled Green Beans with olive oil, sea salt, and homemade tomato jam.
Brunch Plates offered encompass both savory and sweet breakfast options from Banana Cream Pie Waffles with caramelized bananas, butter pecan ice cream, maple syrup, and whipped cream and the American Roots Breakfast—two organic eggs, bacon, crispy potatoes and sunchokes, sourdough toast and house made tomato jam to the Root & Bone Eggs Benedict—Tabasco and lemon hollandaise, house made pork belly bacon on waffles with petite greens.
Lunch-like brunch highlights include the Brunch Burger—chuck, brisket, short rib, pork belly bacon, sunny side egg, pimento cheese, tomato jam on a toasted potato roll and Chargrilled Jackman Ranch Skirt Steak with melted dark plantains, sofrito, smoky plantain barbeque, and cilantro salsa verde.
Root & Bone Miami will offer a full bar, craft cocktails and beers, as well as a Bloody Mary cart during brunch and a Whiskey/Bourbon cart at dinner.
The warm ambiance of the décor was thoughtfully curated by Chef Booth and features Southern-inspired accents of distressed wood, exposed concrete, comfy plush booths, and a bar made from reclaimed doors topped with a matte black quartz slab. Seating is available both inside and outside for up to 120 people.
Root & Bone is located at 5958 South Dixie Hwy in South Miami. The restaurant will serve Dinner Sunday through Thursday from 5 p.m.-10 p.m. and Friday and Saturday from 5 p.m.-11 p.m. Happy Hour is daily from 4 p.m.-7 p.m. and Weekend Brunch from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Weekday Lunch will begin in early January 2019.