San Francisco’s Trick Dog Bar Releases New 'The Whole Dog Menu'
Trick Dog, the James Beard Foundation Award-nominated bar, and 2019 Tales of the Cocktail Spirited Awards finalist for “Best American Cocktail Bar” and “World’s Best Cocktail Menu,” introduces its 14th semi-annual cocktail menu with the release of “The Whole Dog Menu,” which pays homage to Stewart Brand’s iconic “Whole Earth Catalog,” which acted as a “how-to” manual, literary review, and collection of tools and advice during the late 1960s and early 1970s counterculture movement.
In addition to Trick Dog’s collection of new cocktails, the catalog menu, which runs from July 11 to December 31, 2019, includes an original story by award-winning author Rita Bullwinkel as well as writing from students of 826 Valencia, a nonprofit organization dedicated to supporting under-resourced students ages six to 18 in their creative and expository writing skills.
Proceeds from the catalog menu ($25; available at Trick Dog and online at trickdogbar.com) will support the newly founded Bon Vivants Scholarship in partnership with Dave Eggers' ScholarMatch (https://scholarmatch.org/bonvivants/). For the scholarship, The Bon Vivants have committed a minimum of $150,000 over the next five years to provide support to five local students (one added each year) whose families work in the hospitality industry, as they work their way toward college graduation and the launch of their careers. The targeted funds from the Bon Vivants Scholarship provides mentorship, and ensures that the students can buy textbooks, pay housing deposits, engage in social activities, and more.
In addition to the menu, guests can purchase a pair of custom ceramic cups featured in the catalog, designed specifically for Trick Dog by Luv Haus Ceramics in West Oakland, with 100 percent of the proceeds supporting the Scholarship ($50/pair; available at Trick Dog or online at trickdogbar.com).
Drinks are named for items found in The Last Whole Earth Catalog, combined into Brand’s original categories: “Understanding Whole Systems,” “Shelter and Land Use,” “Industry and Craft,” “Communications,” “Community,” “Nomadics,” and “Learning.” Cocktail highlights include:
- The Commune Life: Bombay Sapphire gin, bitter herbs liqueur, Vermouth Routin Dry, Yellow Chartreuse, burnt honey; served up
- Government Surplus: Jack Daniels Tennessee whiskey, Hidalgo Manzanilla sherry, Amaro Nonino, red wine, prickly pear, ginger, lemon, egg white; served on the rocks
- The Great Bus Race: Tequila Ocho plata, Nardini grappa, Luxardo Maraschino, caramelized orange, parsley, lime; served up
- Funk Living: Ford’s gin, apricot kefir quinquina, Cappelletti aperitif; served up
- Nifty Tools: Makers Mark whisky, Don Q Vermouth Barrel rum, peach, black tea, lemon liqueur, honey, served on crushed ice