South's Best Chefs Sit Down to Sunday Supper
This fall, Westside Provisions District, a dynamic, trendsetting Atlanta community of restaurants, boutiques, offices, and residences, is excited to host the second Sunday Supper South, a family-style Friends of James Beard Benefit Dinner featuring a collection of the South’s most distinguished culinary icons to be held Sunday, October 23. Sunday Supper South will unite more than 25 James Beard Foundation award-winning chefs and notable culinary professionals from the region to celebrate the simple cooking philosophy and seasonally inspired flavors of the South while raising money for the James Beard Foundation Scholarship Program.
A Sleepy Hollow-themed dinner along the railroad tracks at the revitalized Westside Provisions District will entice 150 guests to gather around a long, communal table to enjoy a shared family-style dinner that represents the region’s top culinary talents and artisan producers. Funds raised through Sunday Supper South will support the James Beard Foundation and the James Beard Foundation Scholarship Program, benefiting aspiring young chefs and advancing the James Beard Foundation’s mission to celebrate, nurture, and preserve America’s diverse culinary heritage and future. Hosted by Anne Quatrano and Clifford Harrison, the visionary chefs behind Bacchanalia, Quinones at Bacchanalia, Abattoir, Floataway Café, and Star Provisions, Sunday Supper South is a regionally driven rendition of the successful “Sunday Supper” tradition established by Chelsea Market in New York City. Designed to emphasize the neighborhood’s spirit, the event offers a charitable dining experience that symbolizes the Westside’s passion for culture and community.
“Sunday Supper South has established a new, modern-day presentation of the shared Southern supper tradition that comes full circle in supporting the future of our industry,” says host chef Quatrano. “We had remarkable response from the inaugural chefs, guests, and sponsors in 2010, and we look forward to welcoming another group this October for a one-of-a-kind celebration of the South’s culinary prominence.”
Sunday Supper South host chefs Quatrano and Harrison will be joined by their chefs de cuisine and pastry chefs: Andy Carson and Carla Tomasko, Bacchanalia; Joshua Hopkins, Abattoir; and Matthew Adolfi, Floataway Café. Together, they will welcome celebrated chefs from the Lowcountry to the Florida peninsula, as well as their hometown of Atlanta. Participating chefs include:
- Jeremiah Bacon, Oak Steakhouse, Charleston, South Carolina
- Richard Blais, FLIP Burger Boutique, Atlanta
- Sean Brock, Husk, McCrady's, Charleston, South Carolina
- Tyler Brown, Capitol Grill at The Hermitage Hotel, Nashville, Tennessee.
- Scott Crawford, The Umstead Hotel and Spa, Cary, North Carolina
- Peter Dale, The National, Athens, Georgia
- Craig Deihl, Cypress, Charleston, South Carolina
- Anthony Gray, High Cotton, Greenville, South Carolina
- Chris Hastings, Hot and Hot Fish Club, Birmingham, Alabama
- Linton Hopkins, Restaurant Eugene, Holeman & Finch, Atlanta
- Kathryn King, Aria, Atlanta
- Mike Lata, Fig, Charleston, South Carolina
- Frank Lee, Slightly North of Broad, Maverick Southern Kitchens, Charleston, South Carolina
- Brandon McGlamery, LUMA on Park, Winter Park, Florida
- Angie Mosier, Atlanta
- James and Julie Petrakis, The Ravenous Pig, Winter Park, Florida
- Steven Satterfield, Miller Union
- Scott Serpas, Serpas True Food, Atlanta
- Ryan Smith, Empire State South, Atlanta
- Jay Swift, 4th& Swift, Atlanta
- Ken Vedrinski, Trattoria Lucca, Charleston, South Carolina
As the setting for the second annual Sunday Supper South, Westside Provisions District offers a distinctive atmosphere that creates a synergy between a collection of the city’s top tastemakers, restaurateurs, chefs, and business owners. Defined by the combination of historic and modern perspectives, Westside Provisions District delivers an authentic, urban experience at the heart of Atlanta’s revitalized Westside neighborhood, reshaping one of the city’s most intriguing cityscapes into a design district, dining destination and residential area.
Sunday Supper Southwill begin on Sunday, October 23, with a cocktail reception at 5:30 p.m. followed by a seated dinner at 6:30 p.m. The communal table will extend along the promenade near the urban footbridge at Westside Provisions District at 1170 Howell Mill Rd., Atlanta, GA 30318. Tickets are $225 for James Beard Foundation members and $250 for non-members. For reservations and more information, please call 404.365.0410, ext. 22 or visit www.sundaysuppersouth.com.