Westfield and HMSHost Preview Taste of New LAX Terminal
Global restaurateur HMSHost, in partnership with Westfield, was joined June 20 by LosAngeles mayor Antonio R. Villaraigosa, airport officials, business leaders, a host of celebrity chefs, and media from around the world to preview the inside of the New Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT) at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), which will soon host passengers from around the world when construction is completed later this year. HMSHost will introduce seven of Los Angeles’ most celebrated local dining venues into the New TBIT with distinctly L.A. favorites and global flavors by Border Grill, ink.sack, Larder at Tavern, Umami Burger, Chaya, 800 Degrees, and Vanilla Bake Shop – part of a dining collection by Westfield that features 17 homegrown L.A. concepts.
“It is hard to imagine one place where you can find so much extraordinary culinary talent as travelers to L.A. will find at the New Tom Bradley International Terminal, says Joe Waller, HMSHost vice president of Business Development. “These restaurants are the creation of L.A.’s most innovative and respected chefs and restaurateurs. We could not be prouder about partnering with them to create a truly exceptional culinary program that is worthy of this beautiful new L.A. landmark.”
Featuring a sprawling 150,000-square-foot Great Hall, 360-degree views, inviting storefronts and sustainable elements, the dining and retail design by Westfield provides travelers with unique areas to explore as they journey to their destination.
“Westfield is pleased to bring our global resources and experience in creating iconic shopping destinations to transform LAX, starting right here in the New Tom Bradley International Terminal – our global gateway,” says Peter S. Lowy, co-chief executive officer of the Westfield Group. “We have leveraged Westfield’s award- winning design capabilities with the best local restaurateurs to completely transform the airport experience into the LAX travelers have dreamed of, and the LAX they deserve.”
With 31 exciting new options – three times more than before – ranging from luxury dining to healthy-and-fresh sit-down to grab-and-go, Westfield’s dining collection showcases freshness, demonstration cooking, and sophisticated architecture. A hallmark of the new collection is the celebration of local restaurateurs by HMSHost and Westfield, with culinary delights from renowned top chefs Michael Voltaggio, duo Susan Feniger and Mary Sue Milliken, Suzanne Goin, and others, whose cuisine reflect Los Angeles’ culture, diversity and trends.
- Restaurateurs, cookbook authors, and TV personalities with "Top Chef Masters" and "Too Hot Tamales,” co- chefs Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger present Border Grill. Here, travelers find the best of Los Angeles—great food, from talented celebrity chefs, in a style that the city is known for, namely authentic Mexican food—dishes that are delicious, authentic and captivating, amidst the whimsy and fun of the restaurant’s spicy hot ambiance.
- Top Chef winner Michael Voltaggio uses modern techniques to evoke flavor, and flavor is what explodes out of his sandwiches at ink.sack. Uniquely Los Angeles, ink.sack puts a great restaurant—a fine dining experience—between two pieces of bread.
- James Beard Award winner Suzanne Goin and Caroline Styne, repeat winner of Wine Spectator Magazine’s Award of Excellence, have joined HMSHost to bring Larder at Tavern to Los Angeles travelers. Beautiful displays of the freshest breads and wonderfully aromatic cheeses and meats greet guests, where they can enjoy fresh, made-to-order sandwiches, or take away an in-flight picnic box, perfect for the journey ahead.
- Umami Burgerisn’t just selling upscale burgers, it is selling an experience. Another Los Angeles favorite, and recognized by GQ Magazine for ―Burger of the Year, Umami has become an instant legend for marrying accessibility, creativity, and quality, bringing together familiar ingredients but in a way that’s totally new—a burger experience not to be missed.
- 28-year-old Euro-Asian eatery Chayais more than just a sushi restaurant, it’s a beloved Los Angeles institution. Now travelers can look forward to the same exotic tastes with the freshest fish and commitment to high quality, sustainable ingredients at the New TBIT. As the original creator of the Tuna Tartare, Executive Chef Shigefumi Tachibe’s dishes capture the spirit of L.A. flavor and continue to exceed diners’ highest expectations.
- 800 Degrees offers the best in Neapolitan pizza designed by you and ready in a flash. Using a wood-burning oven, the Los Angeles-based sensation strives to honor Old World Italian tradition with California grown tomatoes, locally made fresh mozzarella, and handcrafted crust. Experience the real deal with artisanal ingredients such as broccolini, La Quercia prosciutto, and truffle cheese that wow with flavor.
- Trendy Los Angeles favorite Vanilla Bake Shop presents travelers with award-winning, made-from-scratch- daily cupcakes with a focus on contemporary design and taste. With quality ingredients like Madagascar bourbon vanilla beans, sweet cream butter, and cacao chocolate, owner Amy Berman’s creations routinely land on ―best of‖ lists of countless magazines and food shows. But with a full menu of culinary delights for all times of day, travelers can find so much more than sweet treats.
HMSHost will also open one of the first Starbucks Evenings in the country in the New Tom Bradley International Terminal. Now travelers will be able to grab a cup of their favorite coffee during the day and a relaxing glass of wine or beer in the evening. Pair these beverages – which are hand-selected to reflect the tastes of L.A.’s international travelers – with an even wider selection of Starbucks’ popular culinary offerings, including savory snacks and small plates such as bacon-wrapped dates, flatbreads with artichoke and goat cheese, and truffle mac and cheese. HMSHost will also be opening a second, traditional Starbucks location in this terminal.