Florida Restaurant & Lodging Show Announces Line Up
The 42nd annual Florida Restaurant & Lodging Show, taking place September 22-24 at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, has announced the lineup for the new Bacon Celebration presented by Smithfield. Demonstrations and tastings will take place in The Bacon Celebration Demonstration Theater, an educational, interactive and entertaining area, new to the show this year.
There will be three demonstrations taking place at the Culinary Demonstration Theater starting at 12 p.m. each day: Bacon Tune Up, Bacon Flavor Overdrive, and Gear Up for Global Cuisine Featuring Bacon. In addition, there will be discussions about the value and quality Smithfield bacon products offer - from the hog, to the smoking process, to the formats available.
The Bacon Tune Up Culinary Demonstrations will include:
- Breakfast Bacon Arepa: A warm corn and flour arepa filled with melted Chihuahua cheese, roasted poblano, scrambled eggs, double smoked bacon, avocado, and salsa verde.
- Cherry Chocolate Bacon Cookie (sample): A truly decadent cookie made with black cherry, Cherrywood bacon bits, and dark chocolate chips.
The Bacon Flavor Overdrive will be held at 2:30 p.m. on Sunday, September 22, and it will showcase the varieties and flavor profiles of the Smithfield bacon portfolio. Culinary Demonstrations will include:
- Hickory Smoked Bacon Jam (featured on a Charcuterie Board): A delicious jam made with caramelized onions, charred Serrano chili pepper, and hickory smoked bacon - served with an upscale charcuterie plate with a variety of meats, cheeses and condiments.
- Candied Applewood BLT (sample): A pretzel roll with caramelized brown sugar Applewood bacon, lettuce, tomato, avocado, and chipotle onion mayonnaise.
Gear Up for Global Cuisine Featuring Bacon will be featured at the Demonstration Theater on Monday, September 23, and Tuesday, September 24, at 2:30 p.m. It will highlight the recent trends in ethnic cuisine and how bacon can be utilized in delicious ethnic-inspired dishes. Demonstrations include:
- Pork Belly Bahn Mi Flatbread (sample): Ginger and anise braised pork belly with curried white sauce baked atop a California-style flatbread, then topped with sliced cabbage, tangy Asian slaw, pickled carrots, jalapeños, and fresh cilantro, and finished with a chili pepper-lime emulsion.
- Bacon Queso Chilada: Bubbling jack cheese with tomato, jalapeño, cilantro, lime and Mexican beer, topped with Cherrywood bacon.
In addition to the Bacon Celebration, executive chef Keith "The Greyhound Chef" Esbin and celebrity chef and Food Network Star finalist Emily Ellyn, will present in the Culinary Theater. Other special events include, The Ferdinand Metz Foodservice Forum, World Class ACF Culinary Competitions, The Foodservice Council for Women, FRLA Events, and much more.