Final Four Boosted Restaurant Sales 18% Near Indianapolis Stadium
Applied Predictive Technologies (APT) today announced that the APT Index of restaurant sales increased +18 percent in the area surrounding Indianapolis’ Lucas Oil Stadium during the NCAA Final Four basketball tournament, as compared to the same period last year.
More broadly, the Indianapolis metro area (which refers to the Indianapolis-Carmel-Anderson, IN Core Cased Statistical Area from the US Census) saw a +7.5 percent increase in restaurant sales during the tournament, according to the APT Index of restaurant sales.
Both increases were greater than national restaurant sales comps for the period, which were up +3.6 percent over last year, as reported by the APT Index.
“The APT Index is a powerful application to help local entities understand the economic benefit of hosting an event," says Patrick O’Reilly, APT president and COO. "By aggregating sales data directly from sales registers at locations near Lucas Oil Stadium and in the Indianapolis metro area, we’re seeing that restaurants saw a substantial increase in spending starting on Wednesday before the tournament, all the way through Monday, the final game. I’m also thrilled that my alma mater, Duke, won the tournament this year.”
NCAA Final Four Restaurant Sales – by APT Index numbers:
Indianapolis Sales vs. National Average
- Area around Lucas Oil Stadium: APT Index restaurant sales increased +18 percent
- Indianapolis Metro Area*: APT Index restaurant sales increased +7.5 percent
- Nationally: APT Index restaurant sales increased +3.6 percent during the period
Sales Comps Around Lucas Oil Stadium by Day*
- Wednesday, April 1st: APT Index restaurant sales increased +11.3 percent
- Thursday, April 2nd: APT Index restaurant sales increased +15 percent
- Friday, April 3rd: APT Index restaurant sales increased +22.4 percent
- Saturday, April 4th: APT Index restaurant sales increased +13.3 percent
- Sunday, April 5th: APT Index restaurant sales increased +16.3 percent
- Monday, April 6th: APT Index restaurant sales increased +25.3 percent