The Slanted Door
Fast Five: Need-to-Know News in Full-Service this Week
May 09, 2014Industry News
- Chefs: James Beard award winners were announced. Outstanding Restaurant went to The Slanted Door in San Francisco, while Nancy Silverton of Pizzeria Mozza in Los Angeles won Outstanding Chef.
- Meals: Chefs spent the week preparing for Mother's Day, one of the biggest dining days of the year, while restaurants experiment with build-your-own beverage bars during brunch hours.
- Finance: Chuy's revenues increased 20 percent during its first quarter. An expert spoke with FSR about top tips to control food costs.
- Chain news: Bob Evans' CFO and treasurer tendered his resignation, and Applebee's introduced its seasonal menu, built around Vidalia onions. A TGI Fridays in Brooklyn that was forced to close during Hurricane Sandy in 2012 reopened.
- Policy: Healthcare, immigration reform, and minimum wage hikes were among the top issues restaurateurs discussed with members of Congress during the NRA’s Public Affairs Conference in Washington, D.C.
News and information presented in this release has not been corroborated by FSR, Food News Media, or Journalistic, Inc.