Cucumber, Celery, Blueberry & Pistachio Salad
Chef Joshua McFadden, from Ava Gene’s Restaurant, mixes up this Cucumber, Celery, Blueberry & Pistachio Salad from the U.S. Highbush Blueberry Council.
- 1-1/2 pounds cucumber
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 medium celery stalks, with their leaves if possible
- 1 garlic clove
- 3/4 cup dried blueberries
- 1/4 cup slightly sweet red-wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup lightly roasted pistachios, chopped
- 1/2 cup lightly packed fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup lightly packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves ½
- 1/2 cup lightly packed fresh celery leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chile flakes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Peel cucumbers, then split them lengthwise and scoop out seeds with a spoon. Cut each in half at an angle into ½-inch slices. In a medium bowl, mix cucumbers and 1-1/2 teaspoons salt together. Set aside for 20 minutes.
In the meantime, cut the celery at an angle into ½-inch slices and soak in ice water for 10 minutes. Drain, pat dry, and pile into a serving bowl.
Smash the garlic clove and peel. In a small bowl, combine blueberries, garlic and vinegar. Set aside for 10 minutes.
Pat cucumbers dry and add to the celery, along with the pistachios, mint, parsley, basil, and celery leaves. Remove garlic from the blueberry mixture. Add blueberries and vinegar to the salad along with chile flakes and olive oil. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Toss ingredients adding more salt, vinegar and olive oil if desired. Serve immediately.
Number of servings (yield): 4