Curried Turkey With Roasted Vegetables
Put ground turkey to work in this ethnic-inspired entrée. With curry seasoning that’s slightly sweet, its flavor is sure to appeal to a broad range of diners. Make it a special served with warm naan bread, tossed salad, and a glass of sauvignon blanc.
Ingredients for Curried Turkey
- 3/4 cup oil
- 16 ounces onions, diced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh garlic
- 5 lbs ground turkey
- 6 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tsp ground cardamom
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 4 tbsp corn starch
- 3 cups turkey or chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups dark raisins
Ingredients for Roasted Curried Vegetables
- 22 ounces raw cauliflower (about 1 medium head) separated into florets
- 16 ounces zucchini (1-inch dice)
- 8 ounces yellow squash (1-inch dice)
- 14 ounces eggplant (medium size—1-inch dice)
- 8 ounces carrots (1-inch dice)
- 10 ounces parsnips (1-inch dice)
- 4 ounces fresh fennel, sliced then
- 7 ounces red bell pepper (1-inch dice)
Ingredients for Seasoned Oil
- 3/4 cup oil
- 3 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp cardamom
- 1 tbsp salt
Directions for turkey
- Heat 1/2 cup oil in a heavy-duty pot (large enough to hold all the ingredients), then sauté the onions and garlic (to a light brown).
- While the onions are sautéing, combine the curry powder, cardamom, black pepper, and cinnamon sticks with 1/4 cup oil and blend well. Then add to the sautéed onions, garlic and turkey and blend well.
- Combine the cornstarch and broth and add to the turkey mixture. Add the raisins and blend well. Bring to a boil and simmer 20-25 minutes.
Directions for vegetables
- Combine all the cut vegetables in a large stainless steel bowl.
- Combine the oil and all the seasoning and blend well.
- Pour the curried seasoned oil over the vegetables and blend well.
- Pour the seasoned vegetables into a preheated roasting pan.
- Roast in a pre-heated 425°F for 30 to 40 minutes to a golden brown.
Place a cup of prepared rice in the center of a soup plate. Add a cup of the curried vegetables to the left of the rice and a cup of the curried turkey to the right, and serve.