Fresh Mango & Lobster Arancini with Charred Mango-Tomato Dipping Sauce
This Italian-inspired dish creates a delectible, shareable appetizer that will satisfy guests.
Ingredients for fresh mango and lobster arancini:
4½ cups chicken, seafood, or vegetable stock
1½ cups Arborio rice, toasted
3 large eggs
½ cup finely chopped ripe fresh mango (not minced)
½ cup finely chopped cooked lobster meat
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
½ cup shredded Fontina cheese
¾ cup breadcrumbs, divided
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
To taste Kosher salt
Directions for fresh mango and lobster arancini:
1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Drizzle a little olive oil over garlic bulb and wrap tightly in foil pouch. Roast 30–40 minutes until golden and very soft. When cool, sqeeze garlic cloves from their skins; reserve.
2. To caramelize mango chunks, arrange chunks on two baking sheets and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Strip small stems of thyme for each pan and sprinkle over mango chunks. Roast at 350 F for 1 hour or until well-slumped and caramelized. Scrape burnt edges from sheet pans and mix into caramelized mangos.
3. Char red bell pepper over open flame on stovetop or under broiler until skin is evenly blackened and papery at the edges. Place in bowl; cover and cool. Peel and seed peppers.
4. Working in batches, if necessary, place half of roasted garlic cloves, roasted tomatoes, caramelized mango chunks, roasted red bell pepper, white balsamic glaze, and fresh basil in high-powered blender or food processor. Purée only until slightly chunky. Repeat with second half of ingredients. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as necessary. Transfer to a pot and simmer to serve warm.
Ingredients for charred mango-tomato dipping sauce:
1 garlic bulb
1 lb oven roasted tomatoes
1¼ lbs fresh mango chunks, to yield 2 pounds caramelized mango chunks
1 small red bell pepper
1 oz white balsamic glaze
1 oz extra virgin olive oil
5–6 fresh thyme sprigs
2–3 basil leaves
To taste Salt and pepper
Directions for charred mango-tomato dipping sauce:
1. Bring broth and ¼ teaspoon salt to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in toasted Arborio rice; reduce heat to low and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Spread on parchment-lined baking sheet and let cool completely.
2. Beat eggs in large bowl; stir in cooled rice, fresh mango, lobster, Parmesan, Fontina, and 1⁄3 cup breadcrumbs. Season mixture with salt to taste. Shape mixture into 10 1½-inch balls (about 1½ ounces each).
3. Put remaining breadcrumbs in shallow bowl. Roll balls in breadcrumbs and place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Loosely cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight. (If refrigerating overnight, roll in more breadcrumbs before frying.)
4. In 350 F fryer, working in batches, fry rice balls, turning, until golden brown on all sides, about 4 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels; season with salt.
Yields 10 servings