Italian 'BBQ' Veal Brisket
Union League Club of Chicago’s Chef de Cuisine Doug D’Avico shares his recipe perfect for a stylish gathering.
- 2 cups Fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup White balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup Honey
- 1/4 cup Molasses
- 1/4 cup Brown sugar
- 3 Shallots, peeled and sliced
- 2 Garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1 tbsp Anise seeds
- 1 tbsp Fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp Caraway seeds
- 1 tbsp Mustard seeds
This is enough marinade for a 4—6 pound brisket
To make the marinade toast all the seeds in a pan till fragrant, remove from heat and let cool. Grind the seeds in a spice grinder till they are a rough powder. Take remaining ingredients and mix all together in bowl. Take your brisket and add to the marinade. Make sure the container is just large enough to keep the brisket submerged. Wrap and store overnight in the fridge.
To cook, preheat the oven or grill (using indirect heat) to 225 and cook for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
When time is up, remove from heat and let stand on a rack loosely covered with foil for 20 minutes then serve.
Celery Root Cole Slaw
- 1 Celery root, Med, peeled and julienned
- 1/2 Red onion, Med, peeled and julienned
- 1 Fennel Head, peeled and julienned (Save the fronds to chop and add to the finished salad)
- 1/2 Cucumber, Seedless, peeled and sliced
- 2 oz Lime juice
- 2 oz White Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp Honey, add more if you what it sweeter
- 2 oz Good Quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
To make the slaw, after all the knife work is done mix in a bowl along with some of the fennel fronds. In a small jar mix the lime juice, vinegar, honey, and olive oil. Season with a little salt and pepper. Cover with the lid and shake till well combined. Open and check the flavor, adjust the sweetness and salt and pepper then shake again. The dressing should be a little tart. Pour over the slaw and mix well. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes, then check seasoning and adjust if necessary. Serve cool or room temperature.
Farro Pasta Salad
- 12 oz Farro Pasta, any shape
- 1 Gala Apple, julienned
- 1 Small Zucchini
- 1 Small Yellow Squash
- 1 bunch Living Watercress, wash and remove root end
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 3 oz extra virgin olive oil, plus more
- Juice of one lemon
To make the pasta salad, cook the pasta as per directions on the box. When the pasta is cooked drain well and spread pasta out on a sheet pan to cool. When cool enough to handle add 2TBL of extra virgin olive oil and toss well so it is not sticking together
Take the zucchini and squash and with a sharp peeler make ribbons of the skin and discard the seeds in the center. You will line up the ribbons and cut into thin strips.
In a mixing bowl add the pasta and remaining ingredients and toss well, check seasoning and serve.