Thai Chicken Soup with Coconut & Galanga
Soup can be both a flavorful and comfort addition to any menu.
Consulting Chef David Katz teams up with the The Perfect Purée of Napa Valley to create this flavor-forward soup with Perfect Purée Coconut.
4 Serving size: 8 oz.
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 shallot, sliced thin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp. minced lemon grass
- 2 Thai Bird chiles, sliced paper thin
- 1 tsp. Thai red curry paste
- 1 2″ galanga root, sliced thin and bruised with the back of a knife
- 24 oz. chicken stock
- 10 oz. The Perfect Purée Coconut, thawed
- 3 tbsp. Thai fish sauce
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 cup white mushrooms, sliced into pie-shaped wedges
- 8 oz. skinless, boneless chicken, cut into 1/2″ dice
- 4 Kaffir lime leaves, bruised
- 1 tbsp. lime juice, or to taste
- 2 tbsp. shredded cilantro
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed, non-reactive pot. Add shallot, garlic, lemon grass, Thai Bird chiles and red curry paste. Stir constantly for 30 seconds or until fragrant, but not colored.
- Add chicken stock, Coconut puree, galanga root and fish sauce. Bring the pot to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, mushrooms, chicken and Kaffir lime leaves. Bring the pot back to a simmer and simmer very gently for 5 minutes.
- Add lime juice and remove the pot from heat. Remove galanga and Kaffir lime leaves if desired, garnish with cilantro and serve