Herons at The Umstead Hotel and Spa Debuts New Spring Menus
Signs of spring are all around at Herons, the Forbes Five-Star, AAA Five Diamond signature restaurant of The Umstead Hotel and Spa in Cary, North Carolina, James Beard nominee and Executive Chef Steven Greene has introduced an exceptional lineup of breakfast, lunch and dinner menus that feature visionary infusions of the region’s fresh and vibrant produce.
The sumptuous dinner menu offers an eclectic range of signature seasonal dishes, as well as Chef Greene’s one-of-a-kind eight-course Kaiseki dinner experience, inspired by the artful Japanese eating tradition. For a dessert worth indulging in, diners need look no further than the menu’s sweet options that offer both decadence and creativity. The dinner menu is available in three courses for $85 per person (wine pairings $45) or four courses for $95 (wine pairings $60). The complete Kaiseki experience is $140 per person (wine pairings are $90). Dinner menu highlights include:
- Snapper tartare with saffron dashi, olive, fennel, tangerine, rosé wine vinegar
- Kusshi oysters with grape gazpacho relish, cucumber, muscadet glaze
- Scallops with peas, tapioca, basil, pork belly, sea grapes, butterfly pea broth
- White asparagus with white chocolate, smoked potato, caviar, wheat berries, hazelnut
- Salmon with bamboo rice, fennel, chioggia relish, white asparagus, hickory glaze
- Poulet rouge with Carolina gold rice, pickled peanuts, kohlrabi, red peas, spiced chorizo
- Beef with black garlic, fava beans, morels, twice baked potato, mushroom jus
- Videri dark chocolate with yuzu, smoked milk chocolate, pistachio sponge
- Elderflower matcha tea cake with cherries, elderflower and almond cloud, almond gelato
- Sudachi avocado ice cream with jasmine pearls, sudachi custard, white sesame genoise
The executive culinary team has also debuted their inventive seasonal cocktail program to yield a refreshing spring awakening among patrons of The Bar and Lounge. Highlights include “Blossom” served with Campari, Aquavit, lemon, orange and strawberry; “Garden” with George Dickel Rye, absinthe, ginger, vanilla, pomegranate and citrus; and “Armenia” with Ciroc Vodka, celery juice, bitters and club soda. Back by popular demand are non-alcoholic signature infusions, which include “Citrus Flower” with hibiscus, lemon and club soda; The Umstead Signature “Warm Apple Cider;” and “Ginger-Lime” with artisanal orange juice, ginger, lime, and lemon-lime soda.
Lunch menu highlights include appetizers such as Shrimp cocktail with mango salad, mint, mango-chili sauce; and Charred beets with goat cheese mousse, pistachio, horseradish, rye crisps. Entrée choices include Grilled salmon with Carolina gold, English pea, cipollini, asparagus, lemon broth; and Beef tenderloin with baked mac & cheese, haricot vert, house made steak sauce.
Herons is also open for weekday breakfast and weekend brunch. Menu options include house made granola with yogurt, blueberries and almonds; Brioche French Toast with seasonal marmalade, almond toast crumb, vanilla cream; and savory New York Strip Steak with two farm eggs and house fries.