Al Fresco Dining Arrives at Rockefeller Center
Rockefeller Center has a green new look for summer. The Summer Garden & Bar at Rock Center Cafe opens Saturday, May 10, and the opening will unveil garden landscaping that sweeps across the famous plaza.
In the famed space that houses the Rink at Rock Center in winter, a fresh summer design now creates a sunny, al fresco oasis. It's set with boxwood hedges and topiary, ficus trees, flowers, wicker and resin furniture, nautical umbrellas, and comfortable fountain-side lounge seating. Looked over by the iconic Prometheus statue, there is a buzzing bar with communal tables, while quieter seats are placed along the outer rim of green hedges.
The restaurant launches a lineup of programming for 2014 that celebrates summer dining and socializing. The experience of breezy garden dining in an urban setting is one that New Yorkers have embraced for decades. Rockefeller Center, opened in 1939, has long held a place as a beloved escape from the stress of city life.
Mother's Day (May 11)
Summer Garden & Bar offers exactly what moms want in New York City on Mother's Day: an idyllic urban destination with refreshing summer drinks, fresh seasonal cuisine, and lively musical entertainment.
Brooklyn Brewery Beer Garden (May 19)
Cult Brooklyn beers take over Rock Center for this ultimate beer-focused event. Brooklyn Brewery will co-host an evening of tastings in which six brews will be poured along with a selection of beer-friendly dishes from 6-8 pm.
World Cup Viewing Party (June 12-July 13)
What better way to celebrate the most-watched sporting event in the world than with Brazilian-themed food and drink specials at Rock Center's outdoor bar? Every game will be aired live on brand new TVs mounted behind the bar.
Every day throughout the summer, Chef Prontelli sources the freshest seasonal produce for Summer Garden & Bar (complete menus are here). A 3-course prix-fixe is available for $41. Standout dishes include:
- Shaved Artichoke and Mushroom Salad: Wild Arugula, Lemon Emulsion
- Grilled Marinated Summer Vegetable Plate: Asparagus, Summer Squash, Portobello Mushrooms, Toasted Red Quinoa, Chickpea Spread
- Tagliatelle Pasta: Shrimp, Roasted Corn, Smoked Bacon, Asparagus, "Corn Milk"
- RCC Chef's Burger: DeBragga Black Angus Short-Rib & Chuck Blend, New York Sharp Cheddar, Tomato, House-Cured Pickles, Smoked Bacon Aioli, and Crispy Fries
- Tartufo Banana Split: Vanilla and Chocolate Ice Cream, Caramelized Banana, Whipped Cream, Chocolate Sauce
Summer cocktails include the Summer Garden Rose Sangria and Ginger Basil "Negroni" at $14 each.