All-Star Roster Released for This Year’s Culinary Symposium
Chefs and restaurant pros across the nation are getting ready for one of the biggest industry food events of the year: the 8th Annual Starchefs.com International Chefs Congress, September 29–October 1 at Pier 57 at W. 15th in New York City. The three-day culinary symposium gathers nearly 180 of the world’s most groundbreaking chefs, pastry chefs, mixologists, sommeliers, restaurateurs, and barbeque masters to present, compete, and discuss the latest techniques, trends, and cutting-edge culinary concepts.
Joining us to lead the conversation will be the best of the best in the culinary industry —all gathered to contemplate the high-risk, high-reward culinary field at this year’s ICC, Guts and Glory: Leaving It All on the Line.
[email protected]: 24 food carts, 6 pop-ups restaurants from the best chefs in NYC and beyond. Restaurants include: Brooklyn Star, Noble Pig, Gastropod, Pig and Khao, The Cannibal, Manzanilla, Tuk Tuk Taproom, G Sandwich Shop, Rose’s Meat Market and Sweet Shop, Mile End Delicatessen, Wursthouse Schmitz, Holdfast Dining, Les Elements Patisserie, Alma de Cuba, Fifth Floor, BellyQ, and Uchi Restaurants.
MAIN STAGE: The restaurant trend makers, these culinary giants know where we’ve been and will tell you where we’re headed in the world of food.
- A Peruvian Empire Built on Passion – Gaston Acurio; Astrid y Gastón (Lima, Peru)
- Boom! Introducing the Museum of Food and Drink – Dave Arnold; Museum of Food and Drink (New York, New York)
- Sense and English Sensibilities – Jason Atherton; Pollen Street Social (London, England)
- Unsung Kitchen Heroes – April Bloomfield; Spotted Pig Group (New York, New York)
- Modern Ma La: A Sichuan Mission – Danny Bowien; Mission Chinese Food (New York, New York)
- The Mystery and Madness of Atelier Crenn – Dominique Crenn and Juan Contreras; Atelier Crenn (San Francisco, California)
- Umami Burger World Domination – Adam Fleischman; Umami Burger (Los Angeles, California)
- Man of Manzanilla: Modernist Spain Takes on the Big Apple – Dani García; Manzanilla (New York, New York)
- In Pursuit of Maximum Flavor – Aki Kamoza and Alex Talbot; Ideas in Food (Levittown, Pennsylvania)
- Guts and Glory: Leaving it All on the Line – David Myers; Hinoki & The Bird (Los Angeles, California)
- Indulging in Americana – François Payard; FP Patisserie (New York, New York)
- Performance Art and Pastry Imagination – Janice Wong; 2am:dessertbar (Singapore)
SAVORY: The savory chef: the cornerstone of the dining experience. And at ICC, savory gets top billing, with three days of programming that ranges from the most essential techniques to the most extraordinary, ambitious concepts.
- Cuisine from a Brit's Global Empire – Jason Atherton; Pollen Street Social (London, England)
- The Missing Link: Charcuterie Secrets from Olympic Provisions – Elias Cairo; Olympic Provisions (Portland, Oregon)
- The Art of Presentation: Elegance and Eccentricity – Dominique Crenn and Juan Contreras; Atelier Crenn (San Francisco, California)
- Wild Refinement in the Modern Bread Service – Marc Forgione; Marc Forgione (New York, New York)
- Pimp My Grits – Vivian Howard; Chef and the Farmer (Kinston, North Carolina)
- Wicked Good Barbecue – Andy Husbands; Tremont 647 (Boston)
- Pile It On: Building the Perfect Sandwich – Peter McAndrews; Paesano’s (Philadelphia)
- The Fried Chicken Collaborative – Jeff McInnis; Coming-Soon-Its-a-Surprise (Anywhere, USA)
- Urban Farmer John – John Mooney; Bell Book & Candle (New York)
- Deep Fried Techniques from the Trenches – Michael and Patrick Sheerin; Trenchermen (Chicago)
- Israel Alive – Michael Solomonov; Zahav (Philadephia)
- Delicious Decapitation: Roasted Veal Head Technique – Michael Toscano; Perla (New York)
- Pasta, This Is How We Dough It – Evan and Sarah Rich; Rich Table (San Francisco)
- Smart Sous Vide – Richard Rosendale; Rosendale Group (Maxwelton, West Virginia)
- Peruse Peru: Ancient Art of Ceviche – Hector Solis; Fiesta (Lima, Peru)
BEVERAGE: Top wine pros and leaders in mixology join forces for a beverage program brimming with new ideas, old school savvy, and plenty to sip on.
- My Sherry Amor: Cocktails and Ibérico Love — Derek Brown, Mockingbird hill (Washington, D.C.); Mario Hiraldo Regalado, Brindisa Ltd. (London, England)
- The Keg Keepers and the Business of Draught Cocktails — Tad Carducci and Paul Tanguay, Tippling Bros. (New York)
- Cocktail Innovations at barmini — Juan Coronado, barmini by Jose Andres (Washington, D.C.)
- Art of Coffee Harmonization — Fred Dexheimer, Juiceman Consulting (New York)
- Guts, Glory, and the Birth of the Modern Cocktail Movement — Dale DeGroff, KingCocktail.com (New York); Audrey Saunders, Pegu Club (New York)
- Extraction for Attraction: Techniques to Make Your Cocktails Taste Better – Joe Raya, Gin Joint (Charleston)
- The Business of Bartender’s Choice — Meaghan Dorman, Raine's Law Room (New York); Theo Lieberman, Milk and Honey (New York); Karin Stanley, Dutch Kills (Queens)
- Rum Runner: Polynesia to New York — Ryan Liloia, Corporal Captain of Tiki Mondays With Miller, Mother's Ruin (New York); Brian Miller, Captain of Tiki Mondays With Miller, Mother's Ruin (New York)
- Crushing It at Pearl and Ash — Patrick Cappiello and Richard Kuo, Pearl & Ash (New York)
- BBQ Meets Its Match: Costières de Nîmes — Joe Carroll, Fette Sau (Brooklyn); Fred Dexheimer, Juiceman Consulting (New York)
- Pairing in Paradise: Hawaiian Cuisine and a World of Wines — Chuck Furuya, DK Restaurants (Oahu, Hawaii); Ed Kenney, Town (Honolulu, Hawaii); DK Kodama, DK Restaurants (Oahu, Hawaii)
- Somm Slam featuring Dale Talde — Talde, Brooklyn
- Somm Slam featuring George McNeese and Justin Warner — Do or Dine, Brooklyn, NY
BUSINESS: From the bottom line to the top of the food (professional) chain, the best and brightest restaurateurs, chefs, and culinary experts tell you what it takes to be successful in today’s tough economy.
- Style, Compose, Capture: Food Photography for Chefs — Todd Coleman, Todd Coleman Photography (Brooklyn); Chris Kulis, Capische? (Maui, Hawaii)
- Guts and Glory of Chef Reality TV – Marisa Amador, Restaurant Publicist (Brooklyn, New York); Jeremiah Bullfrog, Gastropod (Miami); Leah Cohen, Pig and Khao (New York); Kevin Sbraga, Sbraga (Philadelphia); Beth Schiff, You Choose Creative (New York)
- Tipsy Tweeting: Somms and Social Media — Talia Baiocchi, PUNCH (New York); Joe Campanale, L'Apicio (New York); Jeff Harding, Waverly Inn (New York); Mike Madrigale, Bar Boulud (New York)
- Do It Your Own Damn Self Without Do$$ar Bills, Y’all — Justin Bazdarich, Speedy Romeo (Brooklyn); Joe Isidori, Arthur on Smith (Brooklyn); Josh Lawler, Farm and Fisherman (Philadelphia)
- Your Vision to the Masses: Chef-Driven QSRs — Franklin Becker, The Little Beet (New York); Will Blunt, StarChefs (New York); Thomas John, Piperi Mediterranean Grill (Boston); Spike Mendelsohn, Good Stuff Eatery (Washington, D.C.); Greg Oshteyn, Studios Go (New York)
- The Living Wage Line Cook and Human Sustainability — Evan Hanczor and George Weld, Parish Hall (New York)
- Cookbook Boot Camp: What You Need to Publish — Matt and Ted Lee, The Lee Bros. (Charleston)
- Get Crowd Funded— Justin and Kate Meddis, Rose’s Meat Market & Sweet Shop (Durham, North Carolina); Evan and Sarah Rich, Rich Table (San Francisco)
PASTRY: From nostalgic inspirations to the modern, top pastry chefs lead the way into the sweet kitchen, reinventing the classics and looking toward the future of pastry chefs worldwide.
- Slow Fermentation and the Long Road to Loafhood — Zachary Golpher, Bien Cuit (Brooklyn)
- Do Me a Flavor: Progressive Ice Creams — Sam Mason, OddFellows (Brooklyn,)
- Reviving Sweets at Helms Bakery — Sherry Yard, Helms Bakery (Los Angeles)
- From the Dining Room to Pâtisserie – Jennifer Yee, Lafayette (New York)